Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2021

#JusJoJan – 1/24/2021

You know how when you see something really cute like a baby or a puppy it triggers an “Awwww” response? That happened for me this past Christmas when my family, knowing how fond I am of Koalas, adopted a mom and joey called Peace and Harmony! Let me hear it…awww!

I have koalas in some form all over the house and in the studio. I used a stuffed koala as a focal point when I was having our first daughter.

I use this cutie as my logo.
This one is in the studio. Can you see the Koala stamp third from left?

I have pictures on the wall and statues of them as well. Clearly everyone knows that I have a special fondness for these little animals. Anyway, apparently there is an adoption program through the Australian Koala Foundation where you can pick a koala to adopt. The family picked a mom, Peace, and her joey, Harmony to adopt in my name. How cool is that?

Peace and Harmony

The letter talks about the fact that Peace and Harmony live in the semi-rural area of Brisbane West and there are cars and barking dogs which are a big threat to the non-aggressive koalas who don’t really understand the danger. My kids felt that since we live on a busy street, have a dog, and their mom is all about keeping peace and harmony in our family, these two would be perfect for me and they were right!

I got my official certificate yesterday along with some information about koalas and some stickers and fun stuff, triggering yet another “awww!” Bonus, if I’m ever in the area of Brisbane West, I can visit Peace and Harmony at the sanctuary! When can we travel again?

Isn’t that an unusual and thoughtful gift? Thanks to Linda for the prompt of Trigger for today’s Just Jot January.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/01/24/jusjojan-1-24-2021/

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Dear friend, I am deeply touched over this wonderful gesture by your family! A gift is truly precious when it reflects a considerable amount of thought, reasoning, research and planning on the part of the giver. Your family came up with an ideal gift for you, one they knew would mean a lot to you, when they adopted Peace and Harmony in your name. I never knew there was such a program. I read the certificate and was troubled to learn that more than 4,000 cuddly koalas are killed every year by cars and aggressive pet dogs. The more innocent the animal, the more such senseless deaths burn. The manatee is my favorite animal, and you can imagine my horror and outrage when I recently read that an innocent sea cow was found with the name "TRUMP" carved into its back! How patriotic!!!!!

    It would be a bucket list pilgrimage if you could someday visit Australia and actually see Peace and Harmony in their habitat. It's beginning to look like the freedom to travel and go about our daily business is on indefinite hold in 2021 as we continue to grapple with the pandemic and new strains of the virus. What a nightmare!

    I wish you a safe week ahead, dear friend Janet, and hopefully a happy one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shady! It was definitely a surprise gift. I watched the fires last year burn the poor animals and felt so bad. I didn't realize that it was actually cars and dogs that did a lot of harm to them too. I had not heard of the atrocity you mention but it does not surprise me that one of his supporters would be so cruel.

      I, for one, do not mind the restrictions on travel if it means that we can get this pandemic under control. I feel we wasted so much of last year because of incompetent leadership that I am all for doing my part to help this administration succeed. Reading Dr. Fauchi's comments about his former employer just makes me angry (and a little amused that he can now speak so freely and does so!). Stay safe yourself, dear friend. It was a cold 42 degrees this morning and very windy here. I haven't taken Benny for his walk yet. I think he wants to stay in the nice warm house too!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the adoption of Peace and Harmony. They are definitely Awwwww cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I have to read the paperwork more closely to see if they will send me updates on them. I will definitely post if they do!

      Delete
  3. Definitely an awww moment. When we visited Australia we visited a sanctuary and I was lucky enough to hold a koala - they are heavier than they look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Our next door neighbor works at the SF Zoo and has several times mentioned that she could help me get up close and personal with the ones there but I haven't taken her up on it yet. I really should!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!