Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2021

#JusJoJan – #SoCS – 2021

First things first as they say, let’s talk about reading. Are you going to be following any reading challenges this year? Last year I only accomplished half of my goal of 40 books, which is kind of surprising given that we were in quarantine for most of the year. You’d have thought that I could spend hours and hours just reading. Guess not. Anyway, this year I am following the Popsugar Challenge list again. I think I’m going to try to go through the list and see what categories I can fill using the books I already have, that way I can donate the ones I don’t want to keep. That will help with one of my Focus areas, decluttering the house!

So far I have read one book this year, “Hiding Cracked Glass” by my friend, James J. Cudney. This is the second book about the Glass Family in a series he calls Perceptions of Glass. It is the sequel to his first book, “Watching Glass Shatter.” I loved both books and particularly favor the way he writes them, switching character perceptions each chapter. It makes it easier for me to keep track of everybody.

I had just finished reading the most recent book in his Braxton Campus Mystery series, “Frozen Stiff Drink,” the sixth book in that series. He has another one set to come out in a couple months. So far I’ve read them all and haven’t been able to figure out who done it in any of them! I didn’t realize until just recently that his titles are a play on words, Frozen Stiff and Stiff Drink. The next one is titled, “Legally Blind Luck.” (Legally Blind, Blind Luck). Pretty clever, huh? I can usually count on Jay’s books to help me fill some of the categories in the challenge. “Hiding Cracked Glass” filled “book in a different format” since I usually read the actual book and this was in e-book form. The new one could fill the “book that’s published in 2021” category!

Now I am reading “Becoming” by Michelle Obama. I am at the point where she has just started dating Barack. Really looking forward to reading the rest. It will fill, “book found on a Black Lives Matter reading list.”

For ‘book that has the same title as a song, I’m thinking of “Helter Skelter” because I’ve had that one on the shelf for a long time.

Book whose title starts with “Q” “X” or “Z” I’m going to use “Dr. Zhivago” by Pasternak.

“Such A Pretty Fat” by Jen Lancaster will match “book that discusses body positivity.”

I’m also going to try and hit some of the books that are on the scratch off poster that I got for Christmas a couple of years ago. Those are classics but I’m sure I can manage to fill a category or two with them as well.

Last thing is that our “SoCS” is hosted by the Lovely Linda. Thanks Linda!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/01/16/jusjojan-socs-2021/

6 comments:

  1. You did well with the prompt Janet and sounds like some interesting reading ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I get caught down a rabbit hole looking for books to add to the categories sometimes so it helps to have a few in advance!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Janet!

    Yessum, it is an odd phenomenon that some of us got less done during a year in quarantine than we had expected. I like your idea of fulfilling your 2021 focus of reducing clutter by donating books you've read. I am pleased to see so many people reading Michelle's book. Did you ever see the 2016 film Barry about Barack's life at Columbia University in the early 80s? Mrs. Shady and I watched it last year and enjoyed it. Barry gets an 80% favorable rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

    I'd like to read Helter Skelter. Have you read it yet? If so, I'd be interested in your review. The book on positive body image is also an important volume that would help many people, especially girls and women.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my friend! I had not heard of the film Barry. I did read that that was what he called himself for a while. I read Helter Skelter years and years ago so I thought I'd read it again. I remember it scared me a little but it was very well written. Having been overweight most of my life I'm pretty sure I can relate to the "fat" book. Thanks as always for stopping by dear Shady! Hi to the Mrs.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Janet - Wishing you great luck on your reading challenge. I read Michelle Obama's book last year and enjoyed it. Mamy years ago, when I was first married and my husband worked night shifts, I read Helter Shelter. Big mistake for me!! I swore that I didn't sleep for a full week. I've never read a similar book since. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! Yes, I've read it once a long time ago too but maybe I won't be so scared this time? On the other hand, given what is happening in our country, maybe I will get even more scared!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!