Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge

March 6 - Book Four

Finished the book of poems by Mary Oliver.  I still can't say that I really like poetry, or that I understand it all, but there were a few passages in this book that I did appreciate:

From the poem "When Death Comes:"

I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering:
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?

When it's over, I want to say:  all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.

and...

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.

From the poem "Magellan:"

For what is life but reaching for an answer?
And what is death but a refusal to grow?

Those lines spoke to me and I haven't given up on poetry altogether just yet.

For Book Four I chose the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel.


It is the story of the Wiesel family in the concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald.  I am using it to fill my "book less than 150 pages" category in the challenge.  

Of course I know the story of the concentration camps but I have never read anything other than "The Diary of Anne Frank" that was written about them.  I've read a few chapters in "Night" so far and I cannot imagine the horrific experiences of being forced to run naked for hours and not having enough to eat or drink each day, not to mention being separated from from the rest of your family.

Between the poems about death and now this book about the concentration camps, I think the next book is going to have to be something a little lighter.  

How about you?  Ever read this book?  Taking the challenge this year?  Love to hear about it! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!