Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge

March 8 -- Book Five!

It didn't take me long to read the book "Night."  It probably could have been read in a day but I usually only read before I go to sleep so it took a little longer.  I also didn't realize until I was posting my completion of the book onto Goodreads that the book is actually the first in a trilogy.  "Dawn" and "Day" follow.  I'll have to put them on my to-read list.  Not so sure I can take any more depressing stories at this point.

However, for now, Book Five is going to be...

"The Summer That Saved Baseball."



This is the story of the two Stanford grads who decided to take a road trip and see a game at all 30 major league ballparks.  That is our goal for when we "retire" and I remember reading about Brad and Dave when they were on the trip in 1998.  They were under some time constraints and made the trip in 38 days!  When Bill and I go, we will not be so limited in our time frame and it may even take more than one season, but I wanted to read this to get some ideas.  Also, since the book was written, several of the old ballparks have been torn down and rebuilt.  

Brandon Crawford

We've actually already been to three parks together (four if you count Candlestick, which has since been demolished), AT&T, Oakland Coliseum and Anaheim Stadium, where we went on our honeymoon in 1984.  Bill has also been to Dodger Stadium.  I'm looking forward to seeing the home of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Hunter Pence




There have been others who have made the pilgrimage I'm sure.  I know of one couple who went to every one of the Giants games, both home and away a few years ago.


 It takes a lot of planning and organization, but that's what I'm good at.  I think we may even need to get passports if we go to the stadiums in Canada!  I figure I have a few years to get the logistics down, but it will be interesting to see what the boys had to say about their experiences.  They even went to the "Field of Dreams," Cooperstown and a couple of other notable spots.

Since baseball season is about to start, I thought it would be the perfect time to read this book.  I'm going to use it to fill my book about a road trip category.


Are you ready for some baseball?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!