Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge

Book Three - Finished the book "1000+ Little things Happy, Successful People Do Differently" by Marc and Angel Chernoff.  There were lots of passages that I highlighted, but toward the end I was just reading the bullet points because there was definitely some repetition.  I am glad to say that I actually do a lot of the things Marc and Angel suggest.  

For my next book, I've chosen to read a book of poems.  I don't normally read poetry.  Most of the time I feel I don't understand what the poet is trying to say.  Lately I've seen some quotes by Mary Oliver from a few different sources I follow and they have really struck a chord.  So I decided to give one of her books a try.  I've chosen "New and Selected Poems, Volume One."


I've just started but one of the first poems I read has already struck me.  The title of the poem is "When Death Comes" and the lines that hit me were:  

"When death comes...

I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering: 
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?  

When it's over, I want to say:  all my life 
I was a bride married to amazement.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world."

What an interesting way to think about death, something that is not usually an exciting prospect, and what a challenge to live life mindfully, and purposefully, not just as a visiter here.
I have a feeling this book is not going to take me long to read and I'm looking forward to exploring poetry for a change.  

What about you?  How is your reading challenge going?


1 comment:

  1. I'm so behind my reading challenge. I have 3 books to finish before March though and I'm positive I can finish them all. Wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!