Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2021

…And now it’s August…

Very honored to have been nominated not once but twice for the Ideal Inspiration Blogger Award. I must really be inspiring! I will respond to both now.

The first was from A to Z coordinator J. Lenni Dorner. I have to continually send my appreciation to him, not only for his wonderful work with the A to Z each April but also, and maybe more importantly at least to me, is for his comment on one of my posts where I was ranting about the size of toilet paper rolls. He directed me to the Charmin company who offers a toilet roll extender that makes it easier to use these huge rolls. Now instead of being frustrated when I have to change the TP, it is a breeze. Thanks for making my life easier, J. Lenni. Now to answer his five questions (paraphrased to save time and typing):

  • How seriously are you taking the pandemic? On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 means you have done nothing and don’t even really believe in it and 10 means you’ve masked, vaccinated and reached out to your political leaders… — Absolutely a 10, except I haven’t reached out to political leaders. I mask, I’ve been vaccinated and definitely take all the precautions. The virus is real.
  • What are your thoughts, etc. about the Kindle Vella? — I know nothing about it so have no opinion. I don’t use a Kindle so if this is a new version, it wouldn’t appeal to me.
  • In the United States voting rights are changing. Do you think it should be harder or easier to vote? — I believe very strongly that every adult of sound mind should be allowed to vote and that all the votes need to be counted. I am praying that the two measures now in congress can get passed. While I am not always on the winning side, I at least want to know that no one is allowed to discount my vote because they don’t like me or the outcome.
  • Who do I think should host “Jeopardy” now that Alex Trebek has passed? — I did not regularly watch the show (I rarely watch TV at all) and so I have no opinion on this.
  • If you had 200 Billion dollars what would you do with the money and would one of the things be sending yourself into space? — If I had that much money, I would share it with the less fortunate for sure. You could seriously change someone’s life with money like that. I’d probably open a scrapbook shop, hire a cleaning service to clean the house, make sure the kids were taken care of. Traveling to space does not interest me at this time. I reserve the right to change my mind about that if something exciting happens out there or if it is the only way I could continue to live.

The second nomination was from Tamara Gerber at Part-Time Working Hockey Mom. Tamara is one of the bloggers I found during the A to Z a few years ago when she was writing about crime. It was a very interesting subject, although she says she was disappointed in its reception. Tamara lives in Switzerland and I love learning more about that country. Her questions are:

  • If you were an animal, what would you be? — I’m stuck between a koala and an owl.
  • In what way has this pandemic changed your view of the world? — I think it is the realization of the extreme differences between people. I mean, I always knew that there were differences of opinion and that countries do things differently but I don’t know if I really felt the extremism. It makes me a little nervous at times.
  • Have you ever lived abroad? If not, would you consider it? — Considering the fact that I wouldn’t even move across the Bay so my husband wouldn’t have to commute over the bridge, I really don’t think living abroad is in my future. LOL. That said, I might like to make an extended visit to Australia or Italy or even London.
  • What are your personal contributions toward reducing your carbon footprint? — Well, of course I probably could do more but in general, I turn off lights when not in the room, I batch my errands so I either park in one spot and walk to several places or do many errands in one day and then don’t drive again for a couple days. We recycle everything we can.
  • If I were to visit you in your town or city, what adventures would we experience there? — This is easy. See my A to Z posts from this year’s challenge where I took you through San Francisco!

I hesitate to nominate people for awards. I don’t want to put any pressure and I know some folks don’t participate in the practice so I will just ask my five questions and if you are so inclined, please answer and link back here so we can read them!

  1. If you were a color, what color and why?
  2. Words of advice I will never forget are…?
  3. In the future I want to be remembered for…?
  4. Alternatively, ever wonder what your role in history would have been? Think of the most historical events in the last 100 years and put yourself there.
  5. Have I truly inspired you? At least, have I made you smile?

Thanks again J. Lenni and Tamara for the nomination. It has been fun answering your questions!



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/08/08/and-now-its-august-2/

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the awards. Great answer to the question on getting so much money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie. I really meant it too. With that much money I could at least give the people in the US who need a hand some hope. Imagine if all the richest people in the world would learn to really share?

      Delete
  2. Well done you and good answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet!

    Congratulations on garnering two nominations for the Ideal Inspiration Blogger Award. I never even heard of this one. You are certainly deserving for your A to Z run this year. From it, I learned tons of fascinating facts about the SF area and loved the sightseeing tour. I also appreciated you passing along the info about the TP spindle.

    I am constantly amazed how few of my friends currently watch scripted TV series or game shows, you being one of them. Visiting my blog and meeting the characters from modern TV series that make up my company of presenters affords you the opportunity to learn what's happening on the small screen, even if you are not compelled to start watching those shows.

    I am with you all the way on your answers to questions in both blocks regarding the virus, the threat of extremist groups that endanger the world, its people, wildlife and other resources, reducing our carbon footprints, the critical importance of protecting voting rights, making sure all votes are counted and that the results of legitimate elections are validated and cannot be overturned by the sore losers. I also admire you for pledging to use your imaginary windfall to help those less fortunate, a trait that separates the two political parties, IMO. Like you, I am not enthused about going into space unless and until we render the earth completely uninhabitable and have no other choice but to leave.

    Based on your answers, Janet, you are a perfect "10." With the exception of TV watching :)... you and I match all the way down the line. Once again, congratulations on being recognized and honored by your blogging peers, dear friend Janet! (Psssst - Benny's on hind legs looking out the window again and awaits his daily walk. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by buddy. Isn't that picture of Benny just so cute? He really is a fun guy to watch sometimes. I'm glad to read we are in agreement of the state of the country. I have a feeling that there are a lot of us, we just have to make sure our voices are heard. Now I'm off to walk that little boy. Have a great rest of your week.

      Delete
  4. So glad you can now think of me every time you ๐Ÿ’ฉ. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜„
    If I ever visit you, I'm leaving a signed copy of one of my books in your bathroom. (Not that I'm planning any trips, but still. ๐Ÿ™ƒ I think I'll use some TP to bookmark the page where Wend is in the bathroom taking a shower and encounters a... well, we'll save the spoilers.)

    I'm at a 10 because some of the leaders in my area would rather have money than keep people alive and healthy. They've undone all the safety measures, and are now baffled as to how cases could possibly be on the rise just 7 weeks later? ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿฝ‍♂️๐Ÿคท๐Ÿฝ‍♂️

    Kindle Vella is a new selling platform I guess.
    Do you, by chance, remember Stephen King's The Green Mile? It didn't originally come out as one book. It was six books that came out a few weeks apart.
    Well, that's the basic idea. Authors write part of a book and try to sell it on the Vella platform. And I guess if it does well, they get to submit the next part. I don't know. I only glanced at it.

    The John Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2021 passed the House on Tuesday. The Senate, however... filibuster. There are a lot of people making a huge pile of money to literally do nothing. "Hey, wanna come do your job today?" "Nah. Just send me the paycheck." ๐Ÿ™„ Why do the job when doing nothing is making such a clear point?

    I really thought Jeopardy had a bigger fan base. I'm in favor of Mayim Bialik.

    8 minutes in space (really, sub space) instead of, I don't know, getting clean drinking water to millions of people, building homes, offering job training, paying for medications... I can think of so many history-worthy things to do other than going to space for eight freaking minutes. Jeff Bezos "because I can" style of billionaire is just awful.

    Thanks for playing along!

    If you were a color, what color and why? -- #BF7200 orange "dark goldenrod", because that's a really nice autumn leaf shade.
    Words of advice I will never forget are…? -- Follow the wisdom of those who are succeeding on the path that you want to be on; those who are failing it can only teach you what not to do.
    In the future I want to be remembered for…? Writing. Or, you know, finding a tp roll extender for my blogging girl Janet. ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜†
    Alternatively, ever wonder what your role in history would have been? Think of the most historical events in the last 100 years and put yourself there.
    Well Janet, 100 years ago I wouldn't have been a citizen of any country. "On June 2, 1924, Congress enacted the Indian Citizenship Act, which granted citizenship to all Native Americans born in the U.S. The right to vote, however, was governed by state law." My Great-Grandfather was the first citizen in my line on that side of the family. My great-great grandfather wasn't classified as a human. I only have ten-thousand years of ancestors buried below my feet, why should we be citizens or even humans? Actually, I'm a sneaky and cheeky bastard who definitely would have gotten myself killed before that citizenship act was passed. Not that the act did a lot. When I was a wee child, I was kidnapped. It was legal, even encouraged. My parents had absolutely no way to do anything about it. That wasn't 100 years ago. https://www.npr.org/2011/10/25/141672992/native-foster-care-lost-children-shattered-families ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Guess what hasn't really changed that much?
    Have I truly inspired you? At least, have I made you smile? You do make me smile. And I have given you an improved ๐Ÿšฝ๐Ÿงป experience. We have the strangest bond of any relationship and I adore it.

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there J! What great answers. I love that autumn leaf shade. What an interesting life story you have! Kidnapped - I can't imagine. I looked at the link you sent. That is terrible. One of those things that a lot of us privileged white folks know nothing about. We definitely live in some strange times right now. I am glad I made you smile and I agree, we have a strange connection and probably would have never met in real life. Something positive to be said about that wicked internet. Have a wonderful weekend. We have major plumbing problems right now (not due to clogged toilet paper, just old pipes) so I'm dealing with that. I'm calling it a $20,000 investment.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!