Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Jumping Through July – 2020 – I did it!

I managed to clean up all the duplicates from my WordPress blog going back to 2017.  I deleted 2014 – 2016 completely since they were so old and moved forward from there.  Donna from Retirement Reflections asked how I did it so I’ll tell you what I found easiest for me.

First I went to the Dashboard on my site and clicked on posts:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.03.44 AM

 

Then I chose the month and year I wanted from the drop down menu:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.08.19 AM

I clicked “Filter” and that brought me to a page that looked like this.  I could tell the duplicates were the ones that did not say “Blogger, IFTT” so I checked all the posts that did not say that in the tags column and chose the bulk action to put them in the trash.

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.05.49 AM

Once they were all in the trash I emptied the trash.  This is the part that took the longest.

Then I went back to the dashboard and chose the media tab.  I set it to the month and year I was working on and then chose “unattached” from the drop down.  I chose “Bulk Select” and clicked on all the pictures.  I learned that I could click the first one and then hold command and shift keys on my Mac and click the last picture and that would select them all.  Once they were all selected I deleted them.

 

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.06.50 AM.png

After both the duplicate posts and the unattached media were deleted I went back to my main blog page and checked to see if the posts I wanted to keep were there with the correct pictures and they were!  I did this for each month from January 2017 to the present.  Once I figured it out, it really didn’t take that long.  I had been using 3.8 GB of space and now I am down to 1.3 GB so I have some room to grow.

I think my next project is going to be going through the posts to check to make sure all the links work.  That may take some time too but since the transcription work still isn’t pouring in, I have the time.  Also, I need to do the same thing on my Blogger site since I know there are some issues with that space as well.  Have you had to do an overhaul on your blog?



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2020/07/08/jumping-through-july-2020-i-did-it/

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Call me a pack rat because I always feel reluctant and somewhat anxious when deleting content from my blogs. I removed some material from my old Blogger blog a couple of hours ago. I use Shady Dell Music & Memories from time to time because I have dozens, perhaps hundreds of drafts saved there and I use them as source material for Shady's Place posts. This week I also reverted back to Legacy because, after trying the new interface for several weeks, I found it cumbersome and confusing with fewer functions than Legacy offers. I will continue to use Legacy until Blogger pulls the plug on it. I am hoping enough bloggers will protest against the change and Blogger will decide to keep it as an option. If not I know I can still manage with the new interface if I must.

    I know it must feel good to have that time consuming task behind you and to have freed up some space. I hope you are well and in good spirits, and I hope it's not getting too hot to take Benny out for two walks a day. Thanks for visiting me today and enjoy the rest of your day, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about being anxious and reluctant to delete things. I am trying to delete some duplicate photos now. There really isn't a need to have so many pictures all over the place. I am using Legacy too because it is easier for me to navigate as well. Why do they feel the need to change things that work so well?

      Benny and I continue our two walks a day by going early in the morning and later in the evening so we miss the heat of midday. We may start taking some longer walks because he is very active and I need to tire him out some! Thanks for popping by my friend. Love our chats.

      Delete
  2. Well done! But what a faff. I'm gradually getting used to the new blogger but not totally there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still using the old Blogger format. I may give the new one a try when I get some time to play around.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!