Search This Blog

Saturday, March 7, 2020

March Madness - #SoCS - Go Figure

Well, Linda has given us the prompt of "Figure" and told us to use it any way we like and have fun.  There are lots of figures in my world these days.  Tuesday will be my birthday and the figure I'll see is 65!  That's right.  Medicare eligible!  In fact, I used Medicare for the first time yesterday when I had some blood tests done.  My last set of blood tests were done in September and since then I was able to stop taking my diabetes medicine completely.  I have also lost another 20 pounds and the figures reflect that.  My Hemoglobin A1C, which is the test for diabetes, is the same at 5.8 - in 2015 it was 8.1.  Normal is less than 5.6.  A year ago it was 7.3.

The figures I was wondering about were the cholesterol and triglyceride numbers because when eating keto-centered meals you are allowed to have fats and since Weight Watchers and Hungry Girl are all about low fat foods I was concerned that those figures would be higher.  Interestingly, this is what I saw:

 

This tells me that my cholesterols (good and bad) were normal when I started "Keto" and around September when I had lost almost 40 pounds, the levels were still normal but higher.  At that time I decided to try and modify the plan to limit the fat intake, my weight reduction speed has been slower but my blood levels have gotten better.  I'm okay with that. 


Speaking of figures, mine has changed a bit since last March:

March 2019 to March 2020

 Looks like I cleaned the mirror since last year too - LOL.

March 2019 to March 2020

I still have some hips and arms to deal with, but I have another 20 pounds to lose so I figure while I'm doing that I'll do some strengthening exercises.  My son is letting me borrow some 5 pound weights that I'm using at night for the arms and I'm doing some leg lifts too.  Maybe I'll get some ankle weights for when I walk Benny.  Do you figure that will help? 

This post was not exactly "stream of consciousness" because I did some research and planning but at least I used the prompt, right?  Have a most wonderful weekend all.  Gearing up for the A to Z - sign ups are happening - I'm #22 on the list which was over 100 the last time I checked.  Come play along this year!

 

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Let me be one of the first to wish you a happy birthday, dear friend! Remember... 65 is the new 15. :) You're not getting older... you're getting better. Congratulations on dramatic weight loss and for getting a solid B+ on your diabetes test. At first I thought the mirror on the right is the one at the carnival funhouse. Then it dawned on me it is an accurate reflection of a much slimmer you. That's remarkable, Janet! Making a habit of working out with those 5-pound weights will help you reach your goals more quickly, tone up your arms and strengthen your legs and build endurance on walks with Benny. You are truly adopting a healthy lifestyle, one that you can stick with and enjoy. I am eager for you to reveal your A to Z theme.

    Once again, happy birthday to you, Janet. Remember to spring forward tonight at bedtime and enjoy the rest of your weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dear Shady! I would believe that 65 is the new 25 but not 15! I'd rather be of legal age :) I think that being able to stick with it is a big factor. If I was stricter it might come off faster but I would be afraid to eat anything for fear of it coming back on. Doing it this way makes me realize that if I have a slip or off day, I can start right back up again. Thanks for the reminder about the time change. I hate losing that hour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet - you've done amazingly well with the weight loss. I've been slowly whittling away at mine and have lost about 6 kilos (about 13lb) and would like to lose a bit more. It creeps on so easily and is soooo hard to get rid of! I haven't gone as far as Keto (my daughter and SIL have and have both lost quite a bit of weight) but I'm working at portion control and moving more to shift mine. I'm glad you're watching your cholesterol because that's always a risk when you up the protein and fats.
    And happy birthday from me too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne. Yes, I was really worried about the cholesterol part when I saw all the butter and high fat things you are allowed (supposed) to eat on Keto but then I started doing some research about how to modify it to keep those things under better control so that's when I stopped using butter in the pan, etc. I am going to allow myself a day for my birthday but then get right back on the program. Portion control is a big help. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Well done you! I'm debating about the A - Z as we're trying to move house. I've already decided to change my theme but I haven't pressed the submit button - yet! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Trying to move AND do the A to Z would give me pause too. Although, maybe you could do the A to Z OF moving!

      Delete
    2. Sshhh don't tell everyone my new theme yet! lol

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!