Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

In the Marry Month of May

May 31 - What a helicopter ride of a month this has been!  I had all kinds of blog posts planned because we had so many things going on and here it is the end of May and I've only written about our house!

The whole premise for the MARRY in the title of these posts was because it was our 32nd wedding anniversary on the 20th and I didn't even write about that, so here goes:

For our anniversary, I booked us a trip to Las Vegas because we had not been there in 30 years.  Not sure why I had to make the flight so early (6 AM)!  




But the Bloody Mary's helped wake us up (bonus, they were free because the stewardess forgot to come by to collect!)



Because I consider my hubby my "knight in shining armor,"


I thought it only fitting we should stay in a castle:


One of the things that my husband wanted to do while we were in Las Vegas was to go by the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop because he watches that program on TV and is interested in the different things that get sold there:


He did recognize some things from the show and it was very interesting, but I somehow expected it to be more "Hollywood" than it was.  I mean, it is literally just a little hole-in-the-wall pawn shop.  Cory, the son, was in the store at the time but he was behind a desk and there was a big sign saying "no pictures in this direction" so we had to settle for the cardboard cut-out of Rick. 


The other exciting adventure that we had while we were there was to take a helicopter ride into the Grand Canyon and have a champagne picnic on the west rim of the Canyon.  It's a good thing I didn't read about the crash this company had a few years ago before we went!  I actually felt very safe.  We had a terrific pilot.  



We only saw a portion of the canyon but the whole excursion was about 4 hours.  We saw some beautiful scenery and got to see the Hoover Dam and Lake Mead in addition to the Grand Canyon and then flew by the Las Vegas strip on the way home.  The pilot made sure to pass by our hotel so we could see what it looked like from the air.  It was pretty cool.  

Our trip was slightly hampered by the fact that hubby was having a problem with pain in his leg and was unable to walk for long distances, even with a cane.  That kind of forced us to stay close to the hotel and the gambling in Vegas is not as fun as it is in Reno, at least in our opinion.  I don't think we'll go back to Vegas any time soon, but we did manage to make some pretty great memories on this mini-stay.  

We even got to see Elvis in his pink cadillac as we drove the strip:


   

All in all I'd say it wasn't a bad way to celebrate 32 years!  

May 20, 1984


May 24, 2016

We  haven't changed much, right?  Tomorrow is June 1 and it is looking like another topsy turvy month.  I'll try to keep you all better informed :)

One last thing, in our trip to the Pawn Shop I saw this brochure:


and it reminded me of the post I did last month in the A to Z challenge about In A Gadda Da Vida.  Sometimes the weirdest things catch my eye!

Hope you had a great Marry May.  Bring on June!

6 comments:

  1. Great post Janet! Loved reading about your trip to Vegas and seeing all the photos. I thought that was a real guy in that picture! I couldn't tell it was a cardboard cutout. I thought the guy was just standing back a bit. Ha! Very lifelike.
    Beautiful picture of the two of you with the Grand Canyon in the background!
    And Inna Gadda Di Pizza: LOL! Cracked me up.

    Happy Anniversary. May you have many more wonderful years and vacations together!

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! We had a really great time. Between the house renovations and hubby having some surgery this month, it will probably be quite some time before we can do anything like that again!

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Vegas is usually good for a lot of fun and games--though to protect my wallet I try to avoid or at least limit the games. Our last trip there was in November. It's about a 4 hour drive for us which is not too bad if the traffic is not overly heavy.

    From the sound of it you did some fun things. The Excalibur is a centralized location to a lot of things so you can never leave that general area and still find plenty to do. I've stayed in a number of different locations in Vegas and all have had something good to offer.

    Glad you joined us on the A to Z Road Trip. Hope you have a great time!

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arlee! Thanks for stopping by. Four hours is about the time it takes us to drive to Reno and we both decided that we like it there better than Vegas. It feels more like home. We never take more $ than we feel comfortable losing, so we don't bet scared and I believe that $ comes to $. I am looking forward to finding other blogs that I missed the first time around!

      Delete
  3. It was pleasure for me to read your Las Vegas adventure. You look full of life couple. You are still smiling after 32 year... nothing have changed. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words, Nicole!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!