Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Fabulous February - 2020 - Too Much Time on my Hands

As if!  I have been absent from the blogosphere lately, at least in relation to posting myself.  I've managed to keep up pretty much with what other folks are doing, although sometimes I just "like" instead of commenting.

The reason for my infrequent blog contributions is because I have suddenly found myself in a position of being responsible for my own transcription work!  The short version of the story is that because of a recent new law in California regarding independent contractors (thanks Lyft and Uber), the wonderful woman that has been facilitating a lot of my typing jobs has decided to semi-retire rather than having to go through hiring me on as an employee and paying me benefits.  I don't blame her and really wouldn't want to be considered an employee anyway.  I rather like working for myself. 




As new work comes in, JoAnn has been letting her clients know that there is a reorganization in her business and she is introducing me as a substitute for their typing needs.  It is funny because for a few of these clients, I have actually been doing the work but the company did not know it.  Fortunately for me, the clients have so far been open to allowing me to continue providing them with the transcription duties, but that means that I have to do a lot more preparation and accounting than I did before.  I know I can handle it, it is just a matter of organizing my time and space.  JoAnn has been so generous with her time and knowledge and I really feel encouraged about the future.   

When Jim suggested the prompts of ankles/hands/feet/fingers/toes/wrists, this song popped into my head. 

"Too Much Time on Your Hands," written by Tommy Shaw of Styx.   


"Too Much Time On My Hands"

Sitting on this barstool talking like a damn fool
Got the twelve o'clock news blues
And I've given up hope for the afternoon soaps
And a bottle of cold brew
Is it any wonder I'm not crazy? Is it any wonder I'm sane at all
Well I'm so tired of losing- I got nothing to do and all day to do it
I go out cruisin' but I've no place to go and all night to get there
Is it any wonder I'm not a criminal?
Is it any wonder I'm not in jail?
Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands?
It's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands
It's hard to believe such a calamity
I've got too much time on my hands
And it's ticking away, ticking away from me
Too much time on my hands
(It's t-t-t-t-ticking away)
Too much time on my hands
(And I don't know what to do with myself)
Too much time on my hands

Too much time on my hands
Too much time on my hands
Too much time on my hands

Now, I'm a jet fuel genius - I can solve the world's problems
Without even trying
I got dozens of friends and the fun never ends
That is, as long as I'm buying
Is it any wonder I'm not the president
Is it any wonder I'm null and void?
Is it any wonder I've got

Too much time on my hands?
It's ticking away with my sanity
I've got too much time on my hands
It's hard to believe such a calamity
I got too much time on my hands
And it's ticking away, ticking away from me
Too much time on my hands
(T-t-t-t-ticking away)
Too much time on my hands
(And I don't know what to do with myself)
Too much time on my hands
Too much time on my hands
(T-t-t-t-ticking away)
Too much time on my hands
Too much time on my hands
(Too much time on my hands)
(Too much time on my)


And the video:




Wish me luck on my typing.  See you as often as I can.  Gearing up for the A to Z too!  Happy Sunday. 






















4 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    The universe never lets us get comfortable very long, does it, dear friend? However it seems like you are getting things figured out. Now that the new law is in effect I wish you even greater success in your transcription work. Tommy Shaw videos were popular on the MTV station where I worked in the 80s and 90s. I remember this song and video well.

    It's great to see you again, dear friend Janet. Take care and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday my friend! I am optimistic -- as opposed to being scared to death when I first found out about the changes. I so often "speak" to the Universe about my wishes and hopes that I wonder if she is answering something I put out there. We've seen Styx twice and they put on quite a good show. Thanks for taking time from your busy day to chat with me!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with this. It sounds like you'll be busy but at least you're keeping the work coming in. I keep thinking about the A-Z Challenge but having just decided to try and move I'm not sure how well it'll work out this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always do an A to Z about moving!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!