Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2021

July Jumped right in…

With a Bang! We had our usual 4th of July get together with friends in front of our house. My husband volunteers at the local fireworks booth every year and he gets free fireworks to take home. Our city is one of only 2 in the surrounding area that allows the “Safe and Sane” fireworks to be used in front of your own house. We had a pretty good show if I do say so myself.

And then there were the “illegals” which seemed to be much more prevalent this year, even though there is a fine of $1000 if you are caught.

It almost reminded me of the block parties we used to have when I was growing up. All the neighbors would come to our house and shoot their fireworks off in the street and then we’d watch the sponsored fireworks go off up on the hill. When we were first married my husband promised to show me fireworks every year and he hasn’t disappointed in the last 36 years, including the time we climbed out the bathroom window of the apartment we were living in and sat on the roof to watch the city show. Ah, sweet memories. Hope you all had a good 4th too! Let’s see what the rest of July can bring.



from WordPress https://scr4pl80.wordpress.com/2021/07/09/july-jumped-right-in/

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    Looks like you had a front row seat to behold your neighborhood's glorious fireworks display. "Safe and Sane" works for me. It beats celebratory gunfire. Here in Tampa Bay we had an instance a few years ago of a young boy being critically wounded by a bullet that fell from the sky on one of the holidays. You and your camera did an excellent job of capturing the bombs bursting in air, a splendid sight indeed. On the 4th, the stray black kitty that we adopted as a house pet last year and brought into our home ran and hid in the closet all day long. He must have thought people were shooting at him. I enjoyed that story of how you and your hubby climbed out the window and went "Up The Ladder To The Roof" (title of a 1970 Supremes hit) to view fireworks.

    It's great to see you reporting in, dear friend Janet. Please give my buddy Benny a biscuit from Shady and have a safe and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my friend. It has really been a fun tradition for as long as I can remember, both at my parent's house and now at our own. Benny was a little upset this year. He stays inside and when we were finished we came in and found him shivering. Some hugs and a sweater worked well and for the first time in a long time he slept at the edge of our bed for a while. Next year we'll prepare him a little better I think and check on him more often. The first year we had him he didn't seem to mind but I believe there were way more booms this year. I'm preparing a few more posts this month but it is definitely not like April where I'm blabbing on every day! You and the Mrs. have a great weekend too!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!