Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Making Memories in May - 2018

So I finished the A to Z Challenge last month (yesterday), blogging my way through the alphabet as seen in Michaels Arts and Crafts store.  It was pretty smooth sailing this time compared to last year but I'll talk about that next week in the recap post.  For now I'm sure you're A to Z'd out.

In the meantime, one of the other big projects I completed was the Sketchbook Project.  I wrote about it in January but I didn't really get started on it until March when I finally decided to use the theme "People I Wish I Knew."  It took me a while to narrow down the people I wish I could meet and once I did, I set about trying to figure out how to fill up the book.  I decided to include a quote from each person because I they each inspire me in some way.  Fortunately, they delayed the deadline for submission of the books to April 30 so I knew I still had time. 

Then I looked at the book.  OMG it's blank (duh).  I don't know about you but sometimes blank pages are intimidating to me.  I knew the book was going to go into a library and could actually be seen by someone and that was kind of scary.  I decided to look at some of the books that are already in the Sketchbook Project Library.   There were all kinds of different ones on digital display, some very detailed and some really plain.  I decided that I could manage it so I got started.

Here is what I came up with:

The Cover

Introduction page - I used a little washi tape there!
Ms. Stevie Nicks - I've written before about how she is my muse so of course I had to include her.  I found her quote about the fear bringing out the magic in her performances intriguing.


Sherlock Holmes - Yes, I know, a fictional character.  Still, I love his quote about being a conductor of light.

Dame Agatha Christie - "The secret of getting ahead is getting started."  How true is that!  There is a row of washi tape along the bottom of these pages.  See I do use it!

Alfred Hitchcock - I was really happy with the way this page came out.  The top row of birds was actually a mistake!  I stamped the back instead of the front but then I stamped over it correctly and I think it gives a mysterious feel to the image.  

Roberto Clemente - Such an inspiration in a lot of ways.  Lost his life going to help the people in Nicaragua.  Wish we had been able to get his autograph!  

Abraham Lincoln - "The only way to predict the future is to create it!"  I like that.  Fits so well with my word this year.

Lady Diana - She proposes random acts of kindness.  I try to do that when I can.

JFK and Jackie Kennedy - "Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly."  "You have to be doing something you enjoy.  That is a definition of happiness."  Plus...Camelot...

Steve Jobs - "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."  I am an Apple lover and always have been.  

Stephen King - "Life isn't a support system for art, it's the other way around."  

Ellen Degeneres - "...Find your true self and live that truth..."

Tom Hanks - "...Approach people with an open mind..."  Wish that it was always possible to do that.

Tom Petty - "...Music is magic..."  Ain't it the truth!

Jo March - Okay, another fictional character but she was my heroine in Little Women and I love her strong will.

President Barack and Michelle Obama - I just admire the way these two are together.  

Just in case you couldn't read it from the other picture. 

The ending 

The back - I had to keep the bar code intact but wanted to make sure to add my trademark, the smile.




So cool to think this will be in the Brooklyn Art Library.  They don't judge them so as long as I got it there on time, it will be included unless it was made with something they don't accept, but I'm pretty sure all my supplies were legal.  Also, since I got it in by the deadline, it will be placed in the "traveling library" that makes several stops around the country.  

I know not everyone will agree with my choices and I there are definitely more people than these that I wish I knew.  I wish I had known my grandparents.  Only my mom's mom was alive when I was born.  Am I 100% happy with the way this came out, no.  I can think of a couple of things I may have done differently but all in all I'm satisfied.  It will be very exciting to see if anyone looks at this book.  I'll get an email if someone does.  

What do you think?  Agree with any of my choices?  Who would you like to meet?  I have already ordered the book for the next group.  I think it will be easier for me to start it since I've already done one.  If you would like to give it a try it's not too late!  Click on the link above and order yours.  I'd love to see what you do.     

4 comments:

  1. So wonderful!! How awesome that you did this and that it will be there in the library for people to see. WTG!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! It will be exciting to see if anyone actually reads it!

      Delete
  2. How fun Janet! And how clever of you to choose a theme that allowed you to use quotes - I know you're quite the collector. And use washi tape! :-) I loved seeing the people you chose, and now you've got me considering who I'd pick.

    How cool you get an email when someone views it. I'd love visiting the Brooklyn Art Library - can you imagine how fun to hang out with tens of thousands sketchbooks?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I'm looking to see if the traveling library comes anywhere near me. If so, I'll make a point to visit it if I can.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!