Search This Blog

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Me in March - 2017

I really want to try my hand at making a junk journal.  They are all the latest craze.  However, I couldn't think of what I would use one for so I've been putting it off.  Recently I thought of a great idea, I would use it to hold all those bits and pieces of quotes that I like to write down.  Usually I put them in my planner but then at the end of the year, the planner gets put away and I never think of the quotes again.

There are lots of ways to make junk journals but I decided I want to use an old book as the base to start with.  I went to St. Vincent de Paul where I knew I could get a book for $2 or $3.  I found two.  I went with the intention of just getting any old book as long as it was the right size and made sturdily because after all I was going to alter it.  Both the books I found are ones that I want to read first.  I started with this one:


I was first attracted to it because the cover was all torn so I figured it would be an okay book to alter.  I looked more closely and saw that it was the story of Al Jolson.  I've heard of him of course and saw "The Jazz Singer" years ago.  Fortunately, I finished the book I was reading about the Major League Umpires (As They See 'Em), so I started this one.  It will be #6 in my 2017 Reading Challenge.


As I looked inside the book I found these pictures that I know will make great additions to the junk journal.


Except for this one:


I know Jolson wore black face but this picture is kinda scary!  Pretty sure I'm gonna cover it up.  So, while I'm reading the book I'm also gathering bits and pieces of odds and ends that attract my eye.  Some of the things in my Daphne's Diary big box of papers will come in handy for this!


Along with odd shaped and interesting junk mail that we get (hence the name Junk Journal).  I'm really excited to finish the book and get started.  I'm also taking a class with Jamie Ridler about making junk journals.  

I must admit that at first I was hesitant to "alter" a book, I mean, it's a BOOK!  But, on the other hand, if I am repurposing it, it's not really wasting it.  After all, some books just get thrown away.  I consider it giving it a second life.  You know I'll share when I'm working on it!

How about you?  Would you consider reusing a book to make a journal?  Do you keep your junk mail?  Write quotes down on miscellaneous scraps of paper and then don't know what to do with them?  





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!