Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Awe-Inspiring August 2018 - Children's Readathon - Week 2

For this week's Children's Readathon I was introduced to two new books and got to re-read an old one that I haven't read in a really long time.

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is a cute, short book about a bus driver who has to leave the bus and informs the reader not to let the pigeon drive the bus.  He never says why, but the pigeon does his best to try and convince us it would be a good thing.  My favorite part was when the pigeon used the familiar, "I'll be your best friend" line to cajole us.  I have said that many times to my kids and my family.  This book reminded me of a Sesame Street book called "There's a monster at the end of this book" where Grover implores us not to turn the pages of the book as there is a monster at the end.  Apparently there is a series of "Pigeon" books.  If I had little ones I'd be sure to search them out.





Next I read Number The Stars.  This is a very touching story about the German occupation of Denmark.  I guess I didn't realize how many countries Germany actually tried to overtake.  This book tells the story of two girls, one Jewish and one not, who are best friends.  When it is dangerous for the Jews to be in the neighborhood, the Danish family does their best to get the Jewish family to a safer spot.  Cloaked in mystery from the girls so that they will not be able to reveal the secrets, an evacuation is planned.  The Danish girl is smart enough to realize that the Star of David necklace that her friend wears could be trouble and she pulls it off her neck just before the German soldiers come in the room.  I found this to be a good story for children, explaining the dangers of the time but not so graphic as to scare them.   





Finally, an old classic, Winnie-the-Pooh.  I love the drawings and the interpretive spelling.  There have been some good quotes coming out of this book but I found one that I really like.  It is toward the end of the book and Pooh and Piglet are walking home.  Piglet asks Pooh:  "When you wake up in the morning, Pooh, what's the first thing you say to yourself?"  Pooh answers, "What's for breakfast?  What do you say, Piglet?"  "I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?"  Pooh nods and says, "It's the same thing." 

One of the things that I have been trying to do every morning is say, "Something wonderful is going to happen today, I can't wait to see what it is."  When I start my day that way, even something simple like having a good breakfast CAN be special.  It reminds me to look for the wonderful in simple things that I might otherwise miss. 

 

Have you read these books?  Any Pooh quotes that are your favorite?  Look for something wonderful every day?  Love to hear about it.

Next week it is "Charlotte's Web" which I've read and another one I haven't, "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe."  You can still join in on the Children's Readathon hosted by Jay Cudney if you want, there are two weeks left!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!