Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Jubilant June

June 19 -- Happy Father's Day

This is the only picture I have of my dad as a youngster.  He is on the far right and to me, looks like a hooligan.  His older sister was queen of something (she's the one in the middle with the hat) so I am supposing they took a family photo for the occasion.  I love old photos like this and sadly, I don't have that many from my father's side.







My dad was very proud of his plants.  He was a florist and at one time was part owner in a local nursery.  When the nursery closed down, he worked as a delivery man, picking up flowers in the early morning from the flower market and delivering them to florists up and down the Peninsula.  He loved his flowers. 



He also loved my mother and my sisters and I.  You can just tell by the way he is looking at her in this picture.  I think that's one of the reasons my own marriage has lasted so long.  I had an excellent example from my parents.  I used to say that I was his favorite because I was born on March 10 and his birthday was March 13.  Mom and I were able to come home from the hospital on that day, so I said I was his birthday present.  


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            He was a bit of a prankster as well.  He would dress up when the occasion warranted, even wearing a dress one time when my mom wanted to wear pants (a thing he did not approve of -- very old fashioned he was!)  I'm sure he had the B. S. on the front of his shirt to signify something other than his name ("Bash Stagnaro"), and would have had a good laugh with his buddies.  

My parents and their friends went on several bus and train trips to Reno in their time.  He probably asked the bus driver if he could sit in the driver's seat on this particular trip.    He usually wore a cowboy hat instead of a ball cap.  In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him with a ball cap on, although he liked to watch baseball and football. 



He was also a great handyman.  In our backyard he built a huge table and a big barbecue pit so that we could have the neighbors over for summer barbecues.  Our Fourth of July parties were legendary!



He was a fan of the "selfie" before anyone knew what they were.


I think this picture is from one of the last cruises that he and my mother were able to go on.  Sadly, he died way too soon, somewhere in his late sixties.  He never met my husband or the children, something that I am sad about.  I am sure he would be proud. 

I have many memories of my dad and I will make sure to pass those along to the kids so that they will know a little bit about their grandfather.  Happy Father's Day, Dad.  I love you! 




6 comments:

  1. Wonderful recollections. I enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet tribute to your Dad. He looks like a wonderfully fun man! You must have some fabulous memories. I'm so sorry that he is no longer with you...but he is in spirit, of that I firmly believe.
    Thanks for sharing the stories and all the photos. I really enjoyed your post.

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michele! I believe he is with me in spirit too. I believed he saved me from a falling tree limb once when I was driving on a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Blogging A to Z Road Trip.
    What a nice tribute to your dad. Very nice post. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!