Search This Blog

Monday, December 14, 2015

December Reflections

December 14 - The space in between...

At least four hours by plane, with a layover in Portland...eight hours, 19 minutes by car...517.52 driving distance miles...as of today, December 14, nine days.  That is the space in between my husband and I right now as he is in Oregon with his mother while I am here at home.



Bill's mom is 90 this year and he is taking his turn, as the good son he is, helping her out since she is alone up there and not able to navigate the snow and take care of all the things you need to do around the house by herself. 

We will have an interrupted Christmas this year since our youngest has to work so she won't be able to go up with the rest of us.  She'll go up in January and then we'll have a complete Christmas later in January when everyone is together.  

We, Bill and I, have never been apart this long in all the years we have been married.  The last time he went up was in October and he stayed a month.  This time it is going to be almost a month and a half.  Considering the fact that I work from home and he has not been working for almost two years because of his back, not having him around 24/7 has been quite different.  I rarely turn the TV on and when he is home it's on all day and night.  The house is very quiet, except when I am done working.  Then the music goes on and I am crafting away.   In the beginning, I was enjoying the quiet and the ability to do/eat/go wherever I wanted, after all, the kids are gone too.  It was almost like when I was single and living in the apartment by myself.  But, after a week or so, it was not such a new sensation.

We talk every day.  Sometimes it's just a quick text to say "Hello, I love you."  Sometimes it's longer if we have important news to share.  

He sends me snow:                                                          I send him rain.




He sends me pictures of he and his mother:


I send him pictures of me and the kids:


We are glad to be able to have the opportunity for him to help his mom out in this way.  If he had still been working, it would have been much more difficult for him to take the time off to be up there for such an extended period.  

They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder.  I am not sure I could be any fonder of this great guy but I definitely miss him and will be happy to have him home again! 


That's my take on "The space in between."  What would yours be?

2 comments:

  1. Bill's mom is lucky indeed. We will also have a quiet holiday as the kids will spend it with "her" family this time. We had them for Thanksgiving. Merry Christmas to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what happens when the kids get married. At least they are sharing their time. Thanks for leaving a comment here. It is exciting to get them! :) Merry Christmas to you too! Here's to a wonderful new year.

      Delete