Search This Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Nostalgic November - 2015

November 1 - Nostalgia:  A sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations; and: Pleasure and sadness that is caused by remembering something from the past and wishing you could experience it again.

That's the theme I'm going with for this November blog set.  Interesting, one of the groups I participate in on and off has "Ancestors" as it's first prompt for November.

Here are a few of mine:

Gramma with Auntie Annie, Mom,
Auntie Alvina, Uncle Ray and Uncle Bob

The picture is poor but this is my grandmother, Bertha, with her five children.  My mom is one of the babies on her lap (she is a twin).



When the kids were older and started families of their own, they would gather at my grandparent's house on Sundays. My uncle, Johnny, is missing from this picture.  Either he and my Auntie Annie weren't married yet or he was away in the service.


Grandpa and Gramma with the first set of grandkids.  There would be a total of 13!  Sadly, I never knew my grandfather, Emilio.  He passed away long before I was born.  I hear he was quite a character.  Fortunately I knew my grandmother well.  She lived with us for a while as I was growing up.  She has been gone for about 25 years now.

Uncle Bob, Auntie Minnie, Robert


Uncle Bob and Auntie Minnie were my godparents.  They have both passed away as well, but I remember them fondly.  They had 5 boys!  They lived in San Francisco so we didn't see them as much once our family moved to San Bruno.  I remember some parties they had in their big basement with music and dancing and going to see them on holidays.





Uncle Phil, Auntie Alvina,
Phil Jr.


My Uncle Phil and Auntie Alvina lived DOWN the street from us.  They are both gone now.  When I was little I would go visit them all the time.  I especially enjoyed visiting them after they had a party because there would be the best leftover ham sandwiches!  Maybe because she used Best Foods mayonnaise?  Maybe because they were leftover?  I'm not sure, I just remember they were good.  I called her "Auntie Me" because I couldn't say Alvina (maybe the family called her "Vee?"  I always thought he looked a little like Cesar Romero, especially when he got older and his hair turned gray.  They had one son.  


Auntie Annie and Uncle Johnny

Auntie Annie and Uncle Johnny used to live UP the street from us.  They had one daughter.  When I turned 21, Auntie Annie took me to Reno for the first time.  We had a blast.  He was a bartender and she was a waitress.  Their life always seemed so glamorous.  Maybe because of the dark lights in the bar?  Maybe because it was a "forbidden" place for me?  They have both passed away.  


For some reason I don't have (or can't find right now) a picture of my Uncle Ray and Auntie Bernice.  They lived in "far away" Salinas and we rarely saw them.  They had two children, a boy and a girl.    


My mom and dad



This is my mom and dad.  Aren't they cute?  Best role models ever!  Mom is still alive at 92, but my dad passed away over 30 years ago.  I still miss him.  There were four girls in our family.



That's my bit on Ancestors and the first post for Nostalgic November.  It's kinda fun remembering the past.  Hope you'll join me on this journey!

5 comments:

  1. Great stories and pictures, Janet. I love old photos. I remember our picture box and pouring over each one, memorizing the faces. I still have them, tucked away somewhere in my boxes. My great-grandfather was a photographer, so I have lots of old old ones as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise! Thanks for leaving a comment here! So much more exciting than on Facebook when I get the notification!. Aren't old photos fun? Wish I had more of my dad's side of the family. Maybe you get your photography skills from your great-grandfather! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool Auntie keep it coming since I don't have any pictures. They are all al Jerry's house don't know if I'll ever get any

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe! Thanks for commenting here. I love getting a notice that someone visited me! Interestingly, Jerry said he was going to look and see if there were any pictures there. I won't hold my breath but you never know. Hugs to you and the family!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Auntie I hope that I get some pictures sometime

      Delete