Search This Blog

Monday, July 6, 2015

July's Journeys - 2015

July 6 -- Another July journey down memory lane.  I recently found out that the El Camino Theater that was on the corner of El Camino and San Mateo Avenue in San Bruno and the two vacant buildings next to it is going to be torn down and the space is going to be converted to a high rise building with both shops and housing.  The theater opened in 1930 and I can remember going there a lot growing up and even into adulthood. 


While it is true that the theater has been closed for many years, (somewhere around the early seventies) and the building itself has housed a bank, a restaurant and a hair salon to name a few, still it was one of those things that meant "home" to me.



It is definitely in disrepair now and I am pretty sure they would have to tear it down to make it suitable for anything, but I am going to miss it just the same.   This is an artist rendering of the building they are planning to put it its place:


Just doesn't look the same.  The story is here:  

Any of our local residents that want to witness the ribbon cutting ceremony can be there on July 15 at 11:30 AM.  It is said the actual demolition could start on the 16th and the building is supposed to be completed by 2017.  I don't think I want to watch.  





No comments:

Post a Comment