Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2015

July's Journeys - 2015

July 4 - 2015 Book Challenge Update

Oh my God, I can hardly believe it!  I JUST finished the book Zorba the Greek that I had last picked for my 2015 Reading Challenge.  I started it back in APRIL.  At this rate I am not going to finish 52 books by the end of the year.  Hopefully the next book I picked will not be so tortuous to read.  I've picked:


Complete with pictures from the movie!

Who could forget Nurse Ratched?
This movie came out in 1975 and I saw it on a blind date.  I had been out of high school for two years and was not seeing anyone (I never had a high school boyfriend).  My oldest sister thought it would be fun to set me up with the brother of one of her friends.




I decided I had nothing to lose so I said yes and it was arranged for us to go see the movie.  I figured that if things weren't going well between us, at least we would not have to talk to each other.

I was wearing a pant-suit (fashionable at the time) and when he picked me up Paul (I think that was his name), said, "If that was on a guy it would be called a leisure suit, right?"  He was probably nervous and just trying to make conversation but it didn't really get any better from there.

We went into San Francisco which was kind of exciting in itself.  I didn't go into the City much.  The movie was great but after it was over he asked me if I wanted to go and get some coffee.  I told him I didn't think so and he took me home.  I never talked to him again, but it is one of those things that I remember every time I see the movie.  I have never read the book and I am looking forward to reading it.

Ever been on a blind date?  Cuckoo's Nest bring back any memories for you?  Leave me a comment!

By the way, Happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

  1. LOL - memories are such funny things aren't they? Bet Paul didn't realize he'd forever be associated with a movie. I also think blind dating is best left for the young, when we're at our most resilient. :-)

    I'm with you in being WAY behind on my reading this year. I'm going to need some marathon sessions (and some short books) if I ever hope to catch up. Hope you enjoy OFOTCN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Deborah! I couldn't believe how long it took me to read Zorba. I couldn't just give up on it either. I wouldn't have been able to count it as part of the challenge if I didn't read it all. Just one of my little quirks.

    ReplyDelete