Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May Musings - 2015

May 5 -- Picking a card at random from a set of conversation starters that I got with an order of Omaha Steaks (which I am not overwhelmed by actually).  The question is, "If you could have the ability to read everyone's mind, would you want it?"



This made me think of the Mel Gibson movie, "What Women Want," where he gets the ability to read women's minds.  Not everyone, just women.  As Mr. Gibson showed, there are definitely two ways to use such power.  The first is not so noble, taking advantage of people and using the knowledge you gain for your own purposes.  But, he did also listen to a very unhappy woman and we are led to believe that he saved her from committing suicide or harming herself in some way.

Being a wife for 30-plus years and a mom for 28, I am pretty sure that while I don't know every single thought my family has, most of the time I can make a reasonable guess.  Sometimes I even finish their sentences.

I don't think I would like the ability to read everyone's mind, though.  I think it would take some of the fun and spontaneity out of life.  Sure, if I was in the right place at the right time it would be nice to be able to prevent bad things from happening, but if I was in a crowded room and could hear everyone's thoughts in addition to what they were saying out loud, I'd go crazy.

By the same token, I am not sure I'd want people to be able to read my mind always either.  Some things are better left unsaid (or unheard).

What about you?  Would you like the ability to read everyone's mind?  Since I can't read your mind, leave me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. LOL - I won't test your abilities Janet by leaving a blank comment and asking you to read my mind. I'm not sure I'd want to read anyone's mind, but I do think I'd like it if we all lived a little more transparently and authentically and then we wouldn't actually need to read each other's minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Being truthful is one of the biggest lessons I tried to teach my children.

    ReplyDelete