Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

May Musings - 2015

May 20 -- It was 31 years ago today...

A love story.  He is my second husband.  I am his third wife.  It was Christmas 1980 and I was dating his brother when we met.  Bill tells me that he knew the minute he shook my hand and looked into my eyes that I was the one.  He says he had to get out of the house fast because he didn't want everyone to see how he was feeling.  I knew that he left in a hurry, I didn't know why.

Two years later the on again, off again relationship I had with his brother was over for good.  Bill came over to my house to pick up some things his brother had left there and we started talking...and talking...and we watched TV and he spent his last $8 on ribs from Rib Shack...we watched a movie and then...he stayed the night.

Bill told me he had a two year plan...date for two years, get married and then in two years, start a family.  We followed that plan and then added to it by having 3 children over the course of 10 years.  




















They say opposites attract.  We are certainly that.  We com from extremely different backgrounds.  I was raised by my mom and dad with three sisters in an Italian Catholic household.  We lived in one town the whole time I was growing up.  Bill's father was in the service and they moved around a lot, going to Germany and the Philippines and then back to the states.  His parents split up when he was young.

2009 - 25 year anniversary
2015
















On our 25th anniversary we returned to Zephyr Cove, just the two of us.  We certainly don't look the same on the outside.  Interestingly, Zephyr Cove didn't look quite the same either.  Still beautiful though.





Our rings (or at least MY rings) went through some changes as well! Thankfully they were able to straighten and tighten and put them back together almost as good as new.  I told Bill they cost so much to fix we have to stay together for at least another 31 years so it is not a waste of money.


How have we managed for so many years to stay together?  It is not always bliss.  We've been through some pretty tough times.  I think it is a combination of things, but mostly I believe it is because we communicate.  Before we were married we talked about our expectations and we made plans together.  We continue to communicate, even if sometimes the things we need to talk about are hard.  We also respect each other.  We realize that we each have our own strengths and weaknesses and are there for each other.  Honesty is another main ingredient important in keeping a good, lasting relationship.

So that's my love story.  Not the high school sweetheart variety but a love story nonetheless.    

1 comment:

  1. What a heart-warming story Janet. I laughed that both of you and Zephyr Cove had changed appearance over the years, and I'm glad you were able to get those rings rounded out again. Wishing you another 31 years of goodness.

    ReplyDelete