Search This Blog

Sunday, January 11, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge -- Book Two

For my second book I have chosen the category, "A book from your childhood."  I still have several books I read as a child but I'd have to say that one of my most favorite collections was the Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene.  Reading Nancy Drew stories began my love affair with mystery books and led me to  Sherlock Holmes and my all time fave, Agatha Christie.



The first of the series were written in the 1930's and, interestingly, in doing a little research for this post, I discovered that there really was no Carolyn Keene!  The books were actually written by several different people under that pseudonym.  The first 56 books are considered to be the classics and most were written by Mildred Wirt Benson and Harriet Adams.  After that the series continued but there were some changes in the characters and a lot of different writers.

 
Love the cover of these old books!  


 Just opening the first pages brings back memories!


I have to say that I have not read ALL of the books.  I think I grew out of them.  I did save the set we had, the first six, and then I have 7 through 12 and even picked up a few odd ones here and there. I was hoping that my children would get into them but even though the girls are avid readers, neither one of them wanted to read Nancy Drew.

It will be interesting to re-read The Secret of the Old Clock again after all these years.  I wonder if I will be able to solve the mystery before Nancy this time!

Any body else reading their second book in the challenge?  I'd love to hear about it.  Leave me a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I used to read Nancy Drew all the time! Never knew about the authors all being different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, right? Actually, some of the books had 4 or 5 writers!

    ReplyDelete