Search This Blog

Thursday, April 30, 2020

A to Z Challenge - 2020 - Zoo

We come to our final letter of the alphabet today!  "Z" is for "Zoo" sung by the Scorpions.  We saw the Scorps for the first time in 1982 at Day on the Green.  When we started going to concerts more regularly I had a goal to see all of those bands again.  With the exception of Iron Maiden we have!  I don't really care about Iron Maiden anyway -- a little too heavy metal for me.



The next time we saw the Scorpions was in 2012.  I've had this set of papers from Creative Memories for a long time.  I think it's really pretty.  


I have a stack of pictures an inch thick again so I didn't have time to scrapbook them all for today's post. 


This was kind of a spur of the moment concert.  I think we got our tickets four days before the show and I was excited to get them so close.  We were in the third-ish row!  A little off to the right of stage but still great.  They called the tour the Final Sting tour which might make you think they were not going to tour again.  Fortunately that wasn't true.  The opening act was Tesla, a band I was not familiar with but I did like some of their songs.  This page is not finished but I think you get the idea.  The card on top was something they were handing out at the door.  I keep ALL memorabilia - LOL.




They did in fact sing "The Zoo."  They are a very energetic band and it seemed like they were so close we could touch them. 




Here's the setlist from that show.  


These are a few of the other pictures I have to add.  


I think he's looking at me, right?



Their drummer at the time was James Kottak and during his drum solo, the stage lifted so he was high in the air.  



At the end, he took his shirt off and stood on his seat. 


Then turned around to show his back tattoo - and possibly his butt-crack?!     


A lot of the time the guys were right in front of us.  


I think they are asking for their picture to be taken don't you?


Rudolf Schenker is a character for sure.



Klaus Meine, Matthias Jabs, Rudolf Schenker and Pawel Maciwoda.



And here is "The Zoo" from the last time we saw Scorpions in 2017.




I made it!  Do I wish I had been able to completely scrapbook each event?  Absolutely.  But I am also truly grateful that I had some transcription work come in.  Could I have spent less time embellishing each set that I did scrapbook?  Sure but then I wouldn't be satisfied with the results.  Am I thankful that I had some letters already finished a while ago or a few with less pictures?  You bet!  I enjoyed reliving these concert experiences as I was cutting and pasting.  With the current state of affairs, who knows when we'll be able to get up close and personal experiences like this again. 

I hope you have enjoyed this series.  I am very appreciative of all the kind comments and visits I've had from everyone.   Side note, I think I could do this one more time. There are at least 26 more entertainers we have seen that I have not showcased either in 2017 or this year.  Tesla, the opening act for Scorpions in this show is one.  Melissa Etheridge we've seen a couple times too and I haven't used her in either of the challenges.  Maybe if I start now... 


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing another A to Z Challenge!!!

    As for The Zoo... I wasn't familiar with that song so I had to look it up on Google Play. I'm amazed at how many vocal artists you've seen in concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trudy. It truly came down to the wire for me, but as I said, making money comes before playing with my scrapbooks. We have been lucky to see so many groups and I am hoping to be able to see some more! Maybe not this year.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Janet!

    It's "Z" day and I am happy to see you finishing strong with The Scorpions and their song "Zoo" which employs a talk box. I read that the "Zoo" single, released in 1980, didn't perform well on the chart, but has since become a critically acclaimed heavy metal song. Wiki sez: << a key element being the "Berlin burlesque vocal melody". On this note, it is used by many strippers in their stage act. >> After listening to the song in that clip, I can imagine a stripper doing her act to that ba-boom ba-boom ba-boom rhythm.

    I see that the first time you went to see The Scorps they joined Foreigner, Loverboy and Maiden at Day On The Green, a recurring concert series in Oakland presented by promoter Bill Graham. Gosh, Janet - 30 years went by before you saw The Scorpions again and then five more years passed before you saw them most recently. If I may borrow a line from your friend James Taylor, "deep greens and blues are the colors I choose," and I really like the shades of green and blue in the papers you chose. Regarding the 2012 show, Tesla is a band that is familiar to me because they came to our MTV studios for an interview and to tape promos when they played at a Tampa Bay venue. I have a Scorpions CD and therefore I know most of their songs. It was cool that you guys had such good seats that you felt like you could reach out and touch the band members. The pictures show it. Isn't it something that some shows forbid picture taking when I think it helps spread the word and promote the band when pictures are allowed to be taken during a show and later shared with family and friends. It's not like people run up on stage and demand a selfie.

    Janet, I congratulate you on finishing the A to Z and doing it in style. It was fun experiencing these concerts vicariously through your pictures and words. The timing of this annual event was perfect because you and I were just getting acquainted when it began. 26 posts later I feel like I know you better and have a sense of your taste in music. The experience also helped solidify our friendship. You are fortunate to have close family members who share your love of attending these live shows. Your A to Z series also gave me many helpful tips on enhancing my own scrapbooked memorabilia.

    Once again I applaud you for a race well run, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know why some of my replies to you come out as separate comments. I'm sure I hit the reply button!

      Delete
  3. Hello my friend, Shady! I can easily see how the song "Zoo" could be used in a stripper act. I know I do some dancing in my studio when I hear it while I am scrapbooking. Interestingly, during the Tesla performance there was someone off stage that the lead singer, Jeff Keith, kept looking at. It was almost like he was singing more to that person than us.

    I had to laugh about the "run up on stage and take a selfie" because there are actually people who do that, although mostly before the show and not quite on the stage but close.

    I most appreciate your visits everyday, dear friend. I had some doubt when I first started that no one would be interested in my scrapbooking endeavors. At least I could count on you to encourage me. If I inspired you to create in any way, that's a bonus. I'm sure you have a TON of interesting things. I may be quiet for a day or two to catch my breath but I'll be back for sure. Have a marvelous rest of your day good buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! You made it. It's not been an easy month so that makes it even more special in some ways. Hopefully you'll get your unfinished projects completed soon. You've definitely made good starts on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I sort of knew from the beginning that I wouldn't be able to finish each event since I take so many pictures and sometimes it takes a while to figure out the papers and embellishments, etc. so I gave myself permission to at least get a page or two done for everyone rather than skip it completely. That took the pressure off a lot. Thanks for stopping by all month!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!