Search This Blog

Friday, April 17, 2020

A to Z Challenge - 2020 - One More Night

I'm really stretching it here using "One More Night" by Phil Collins for my "O."  Phil is one of our favorite performers and although he has had some pretty big health issues, I was excited to see that he was touring.  In looking at some of the clips from his tour, I saw that he sat for the entire show and sang from his seat.  My husband was thinking that it would be a tame show and decided he didn't want to go so our son, Jeff, went with me instead.  We had a blast.

I went with this pretty paper collection.


Here's the first page.  Before the show they were flashing pictures of Phil from his younger days.  He really has been around a long time, both with Genesis (my "G" in 2017), and solo.  My son was indulgent of his mom and took the concert selfie with me.   




 Here are a few of the pictures I'm working with.  I'm excited to scrap the ones of Phil and his son, who is the drummer for the band now.  How cool is that!




Son, Nick, on the drums.


One of the few times he stood during the show.




He definitely has aged but he can still belt it out, even sitting! 




Here's the setlist from that show.  If you look closely, "One More Night" was not even on the list but given that his show was the "Not Dead Yet" tour, I think he wants one more night!  



In fact, he did do another tour which we didn't see but it was called the "Still Not Dead Yet" tour - lol.  It was last year at the new Chase Center they built in San Francisco and from what I hear it was another great show.  Even more interesting, there was talk before the coronavirus hit that Phil was going to get back together with Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks and do some Genesis shows in Europe.  I'm sure those plans have been changed now and Peter Gabriel was not mentioned to be with them, a fact that disappoints my husband.  If they come around again, I may have to go with my son!

Here's a bit of "You'll Be In My Heart" from that night.



And just in case you're a Phil Collins fan, I would recommend his book, also titled "Not Dead Yet."



Whew.  Not as detailed and definitely not complete but man I thought I was going to have to skip some and that would have made me sad.  We are on to the letter "P" tomorrow and then we have a day to recoup.  I just may make it after all!    


7 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    How goes it on the Left Coast, dear friend?

    Yessum, it is cool when a musical son or daughter joins the band and tours with their rock star parent in later years. It is also cool that you and your son share a love of classic rock and had a blast at this Phil Collins show. I like the mix of pictures you used showing Phil in his younger days and as he looked when you and Jeff witnessed his touring act. When I see how much Phil has aged, I wonder where the years have gone. They went by in a flash. The songs of Genesis and Phil Collins were played frequently at the MTV station where I worked in the 80s. It's trite to express this but it literally does seem like only yesterday. I don't see this particular song on his set list, but I'd like to mention that, at the end of my old blog's ten year run, I posted Phil's rendition of "Goin' Back," a song penned in 1966 by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. Phil's music video version brings tears. Have you seen it? The song has been recorded by many artists including Dusty Springfield, The Byrds, Marianne Faithfull (stricken with COVID-19), Diana Ross and Bon Jovi as well as by Carole King Herself. However my favorite version is another that I used to wrap up my Shady Dell Music & Memories site, the version by English singer/songwriter Jackie Trent.

    Have a safe and happy day, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shady, I have heard Phil Collins sing that song, he put out an album of that name which I have, but I don't think I remember the video. I'll have to go check it out. I didn't know Marianne Faithful had Covid. No one is safe, right? Thanks for making my little corner one of your daily visits :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much music of his to enjoy! How fun to see a shot of you and your son, and the photo of Phil's son. I'll be adding the book to my TBR pile, which always grows exponentially during the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my son and I don't share much in the way of musical interests but Phil is one. I am surprised that I haven't found more books this year but maybe I'm not reading the right posts!

      Delete
  4. I love Phil Collins so I'm glad you found a way to include him here. Keep going. We're over halfway now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I'm taking the approach like they are 6 degrees from Kevin Bacon, right? If I can find a connection, I'll take it! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you got through this letter and used Phil Collins who does look old, at least to me but I love the title of his tour. He must be proud that his kids followed in his footsteps

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!