Search This Blog

Sunday, December 1, 2019

December Reflections - 2019 and #SLS

Our prompt today for Song Lyric Sunday is chin/ears/eyes/face/mouth/nose.  I don't know why but I thought of the song "Spanish Eyes" as sung by Al Martino.  It takes me back to when I was about 18 or 19 and went to a few Knights of Columbus dances with my parents.  They figured it would be a good place for me to meet a nice Italian Catholic boy.  Unfortunately, they had me in the wrong generation and all of their friends had children older than me so there weren't any eligible young bachelors around.  It was a fun night anyway because I got to see my mom and dad dance and I got to dance with my dad a few times. 

Mom and dad at my sister's wedding.

This song was one of the ones I remember dancing with him to.  He's been gone for about 38 years now and I really miss him around the holidays especially.  Elvis Presley, Englebert Humperdink and Willie Nelson all have versions of this song too but Al Martino's is the one that reminds me of dad. 




The lyrics:

Blue Spanish eyes
Teardrops are falling from your Spanish eyes
Please, please don't cry
This is just adios and not goodbye
Soon I'll return
Bringing you all the love your heart can hold
Please say "Si, si"
Say you and your Spanish eyes will wait for me
Blue Spanish eyes
Prettiest eyes in all of Mexico
True Spanish eyes
Please smile at me once more before I go
Soon I'll return
Bringing you all the love your heart can hold
Please say "Si, si"
Say you and your Spanish eyes will wait for me
Say you and your Spanish eyes will wait for me
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Carlos Villalobos / Garry Applebaum
Spanish Eyes lyrics © BMG Rights Management US, LLC



All righty then.  December is officially underway.






2 comments:

  1. Hi, Janet!

    I well remember Al Martino's hit single "Spanish Eyes." Thanks for sharing memories of attending those KOC dances with your parents and watching them dance together. Your mom and dad made a great looking couple on the dance floor. Do you have a picture of you dancing with your dad? Your post reminds me of my own parents and one unlikely song in particular they loved to dance to. It was a record in my collection by the Dave Clark Five. On what would have been my mother's 100th birthday, I paid tribute to her and told about that DC5 song:

    https://shadydell.blogspot.com/2018/03/my-mom-born-100-years-ago-today.html

    Thanks for sharing your music and memories, dear friend Janet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had pictures of my dad and I dancing but sadly I don't. I'll have to go back and check your post about your mom. Dad would be 106 right now!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!