Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2018

Observations in October - 2018 Spirit

Ali has definitely given us something to think about with this prompt, "Spirit."  One definition of the word spirit is:  "The non-physical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul.

It's no secret that I have a positive outlook on life in general.  That's not to say that I am always happy or that things never go wrong.  It's more of a deep seated feeling that everything happens for a reason and even though I don't always know what the reason is at the time, eventually it makes sense. 

Maybe my "Spirit" or soul is at peace with myself.  I remember as a child my mom would rock us to sleep and sing a song that was just a simple tune and it started like this:  "Mommy loves Janet, Daddy loves Janet, Sister JoAnne loves Janet, Sister Judy loves Janet..." and she would proceed to sing that everyone in our family loved me.  What's not to love about this girl? 


I sang the song to my kids as well.  If I was having a particularly rough time getting them to sleep sometimes the list of people who loved them would extend to cousins and neighbors, the mailman, etc. before they'd fall asleep!

I'm sure part of it has to do with my religious upbringing.  I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic grammar school for 8 years.  Although I am not a "practicing" Catholic now and I don't always agree with everything the church teaches, still I feel a calmness come over me on the times when I do make it to church (maybe once every 5 or 6 years?) and I believe the basic teachings about God and his love for us.  

I try to pass that peaceful feeling on to others too, that's why I am such a proponent of the smile and the power it has.  I think everyone should try smiling more often!  

That's my take on Spirit.  What about you?  What's your spirit like?  Remember any songs your mom sang to you?  Share!



 

2 comments:

  1. Not only can a positive outlook change things for the better -- it is also contagious. Keep on passing it on, Janet!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!